Chapter 1 blog

 Todays reading consisted of some pretty basic material about social media, but there were also some pretty shocking statistics that I enjoyed reading about! The thing that surprised me most was that it took airlines 64 YEARS to reach 50 million people, and only 19 DAYS for Pokemon go to reach that many people. That was CRAZY!! Airplanes was one of the biggest inventions ever, it rocked the entire world. Yet it took over half a century to do what an app did in 3 weeks. I was also surprised by the average daily time spent using social media. It was 2 hours and 31 minutes and I actually expected it to be quite higher than that.

I think that the development of social media was really good for our world to a certain extent, but there comes a point where enough is enough. For me at least, I got a phone in middle school and my first form of social media was instagram when I was a freshman in high school. Nowadays though there are 5th and 6th graders all over social media! They are being exposed to things that no child should ever be exposed to and I think that that is damaging society. For little girls especially, being exposed to the things they see on social media is extremely toxic and leads to higher rates of depression, self harm, and even suicide.

There are a lot of positives that come with social media, however I think that some limitations need to start being placed. Whether that is age restrictions or simply restricting the content that is put out there. Something needs to change though, for the safety of everyone.

Comments

Popular Posts